Robert A. Mooney
phone 402-397-6200 (Local)
1-(888) 4SODORO (Toll Free)
Mr. Robert Mooney is a trial lawyer whose career has revolved around dual goals of advocacy and service. Born and raised in Omaha, Mr. Mooney graduated from Omaha Creighton Prep. Mr. Robert Mooney graduated from The University of Nebraska-Lincoln where he was actively involved in his fraternity, Delta Upsilon.
Following his graduation in 1997 from the University of Nebraska College of Law, Mr. Mooney served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Michael McCormack on the Nebraska Supreme Court.
After his one-year clerkship, Mr. Mooney joined the Douglas County Attorney’s office where he handled and assisted with matters in the Juvenile, Domestic Violence, and Felony courts. Mr. Mooney managed and tried hundreds of criminal and juvenile matters during his tenure with the County Attorney’s office. Prior to joining Sodoro, Daly, Shomaker & Selde, Mr. Mooney was a litigator at two Omaha-area firms.
Between 1999 and 2015, Mr. Mooney successfully tried over 30 solo civil jury trials, including trials in areas as varied as probate, medical malpractice defense, and personal injury litigation. Further, Mr. Mooney has argued numerous appellate matters to the Nebraska Court of Appeals, the Nebraska Supreme Court, the Iowa Supreme Court, and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Robert Mooney handles litigation regarding a wide array of subjects, but his area of emphasis is defending Physicians, Hospitals and other health care professionals.
Mr. Mooney has defended malpractice lawsuits across Nebraska and in Iowa, and is an ardent defender of the medical professions. Mr. Mooney has long been rated “AV” preeminent from the Martindale Hubbell peer review service, the highest rating which can be achieved.
In addition to his advocacy on behalf of his clients, Mr. Robert Mooney values service to the bar and the public. Mr. Mooney has served as both a member of, and as Chairperson of the Disciplinary Review Board, which reviews attorney ethics matters for the Nebraska Supreme Court.
Mr. Mooney served on the Board of the Nebraska Defense Counsel Association, and as President of the Omaha Barristers. Mr. Mooney has served as chairman of the Omaha Bar Association’s Memorial Committee which recognizes and remembers attorneys who have passed. Mr. Mooney has served two terms on the Supreme Court’s 4th Judicial District Nominating Commission for the County Court of Douglas County.
Since 2006, Mr. Robert Mooney has served as the representative of the citizens of Omaha as a member of the City of Omaha Police and Fire Retirement System. Mr. Mooney makes it his priority to volunteer his time and effort on behalf of the community of lawyers and the City of Omaha.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Negligence/Wrongful Death
- Insurance Defense Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Freight Transportation Litigation
- Railroad Litigation
- Property Damage/Loss Claims
- Third-Party Theft/Recovery
- Derailment Litigation
- Products Liability Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
- Nebraska, 1997
- Iowa, 2016
- University of Nebraska (J.D., 1997)
- University of Nebraska (B.A., 1994)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Omaha Bar Association
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Nebraska Defense Counsel Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Omaha Barristers
HONORS & AWARDS
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Advanced Trial Advocacy (1996)
SERVICE TO THE BAR
- Omaha Bar Association-Courts Committee (2002-2007)
- Omaha Barristers Club-President (2007-2008)
- Nebraska Supreme Court-Disciplinary Review Board (2007-2014) Chair (2013-2014)
- Nebraska Defense Counsel Association, Board Member (2007-2011)
- All Nebraska Courts (1997)
- U.S. District Court of Nebraska (1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit (1999)